An uneven skin tone is an irregular darkening of the skin. An uneven skin tone can occur when there is increased production of your natural skin pigment called melanin. It can be temporary or permanent and can make you look older than you are.
Causes of Uneven skin tone
- Sun exposure: When your skin is repeatedly exposed to UV light, sun damage occurs resulting in brown spots and uneven skin tone because of increased melanin production.
- Hormones: The imbalance in hormones may cause high melanin production which can produce an uneven skin tone. Melasma is a hormone-related hyperpigmentation caused by increased hormone stimulation. It’s most commonly experienced by women who are pregnant or taking contraceptives.
- Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation: It means darkening of the skin as a result of
Inflammation can be caused by acne lesions, skin injury or as a result of the reaction to certain cosmetics.
- Lifestyle factors– Stress, pollution and lack of proper sleep and rest also aggravates the dullness of skin and may result in the appearance of an uneven skin tone.
How to get an even skin tone?
Few simple remedies for curing uneven skin tone are-
- Apply sunscreen daily- Applying a sunscreen with a Broad Spectrum SPF of at least 30 is the most important step in maintaining even skin tone and preventing its further aggravation.
- Exfoliate. Cleansing the skin one to two times weekly with a gentle exfoliating cleanser to remove dead skin cells helps in getting a much even complexion. Also, this clears the path for the ingredients in your serums and moisturizers to better penetrate into the skin.
- Healthy diet– Eating a clean diet helps beautify any complexion, not only uneven ones. Avoid processed foods such as white bread, chips, soda, and candy. The preservatives and additives found within these ingredients cause your blood sugar levels to spike, thereby increasing pigmentation. Try to incorporate more foods into your diet that have been proven to improve the quality of your skin, such as Green tea, Green vegetables, Citrus Foods such as oranges and tomatoes. These eatables are rich in antioxidants and can improve the quality of your skin while minimizing visible aging effects.
- Use the right ingredients. Choose products that contain Activated Charcoal to help remove pollutants; certain skin lightening substances like niacinamide to decrease melanin production, and certain exfoliating agents like Retinol to rejuvenate the skin.
- Be patient. There’s no immediate correction available for an uneven skin tone. It takes at least 1-2 months of regular skin care treatment before you see any improvement.
Take the help of your dermatologist for improvement.
There are some treatment options that your dermatologist can provide to treat stubborn pigmentation. There are certain agents that help you to achieve an even skin tone such as:
- Hydroquinone: This is the most common depigmenting agent used to remove pigmentation and correct uneven tone.
- Kojic acid: This ingredient suppresses the tyrosinase enzyme responsible for the production of melanin.
- Glutathione: Commonly found in soaps, lotions, ointments, and even pills, glutathione is a peptide whose strong antioxidant powers have a whitening effect on your skin.
- Arbutin, niacinamide, retinol, beta whiteare other ingredients found in certain topical medications that can be used to reduce pigmentation.
A chemical peel removes the dead outer layers of your skin and in turn exposing new, fresh skin underneath. It has been proven very efficient in rejuvenating your skin and producing an even skin tone.
There are several different options for chemical peels- Glycolic acid, Salicylic acid, yellow peels and phenol which can reduce acne spots, sun spots, age spots, and wrinkles. It works by penetrating the top layers of the skin with a chemical solution and causes it to exfoliate, revealing healthier new skin underneath.
Microdermabrasion can treat a number of skin conditions, including light scarring, sun damage, and discoloration. It works by rejuvenating the skin while removing the thicker, damaged outer layer, creating a more youthful appearance.
Laser treatments, with the ability to lighten scars or age and sun spots, are being used to help improve skin tones in refractory cases. Q switched ndYag laser works on degrading melanin (color producing element) in the skin resulting in a reduction in pigmentation and providing an even skin tone.
Keeping your skin hydrated, protecting it from sunlight, adopting healthy eating habits and usage of appropriate products according to your skin type can help you in getting rid of your uneven skin tone. You can take the help of your dermatologist and opt for certain procedures in order to attain a flawless skin.
Other Related services
A Contour ThreadLift is a minimally invasive, non-surgical procedure able to pro…
Skin tightening and facelift with High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) is a …
The aging process breaks down collagen and elastin fibers, leading to the appear…